Wednesday, August 19, 2009

.............For almost an hour, I sat there in awe as he (Charlie Cullen) spoke passionately about the keys to success. He talked about courage, humility, perseverance, and believing in your dreams. And he ended with a story I never forgot.

He said that he was in the Oklahoma City airport when he saw a woman walking along with three little girls. They were skipping and singing, "Daddy's coming home on a big jet! Daddy's coming home on a big jet!" All excited! Eyes lit up like diamonds! Wild anticipation! They had never before met Daddy coming home on a jet. Their mother was so proud of them. You could see it in her eyes.

Then the plane arrived, the door opened and the passengers streamed in. You didn't have to ask which one was Daddy. The girls' eyes were glued on him. But his first look was for his wife. Seeing her, he yelled, "Why in the heck didn't you bring my top coat?" and walked right past his adoring daughters.

You see, here was a man who had an opportunity to be great, and he didn't recognize it.

How many times a day, a week, a month do we have the opportunity to be great, and not even know it?

I heard this story over 40 years ago, but I never forgot it. It helped to shape my life in a very positive way...to focus on what matter's most.

About 5 years ago I began to speak to corporate audiences and I began to write. Since then, I've been very blessed to be able to share some of the many lessons I've learned in both business and in life. And, I always do it with stories. Charlie Cullen taught me that people forget lectures, but they remember stories.....

Mac Anderson -Simple Truths

1 comment:

Shanghai Fish said...

how true....Mr. Philosopher aka AMI (KK). Is this like "one cannot see the forest for the trees" thinggy ?
cheers !