Monday, February 5, 2007

A Glaring Quality

It has been 11 months since I joined Herbalife Int.(http://www.herbalife.com/hl/templates/templatepreportal/herbalife/index.jsp), a US based direct selling company dealing with inner nutrition for weight management and outer nutrition for complete skin care. I do not wish to go into the details of how I decided to venture into direct selling especially when I've been burnt and foxed several times by other DS companies preceding this. But I'M GLAD THAT I'VE CHOSEN HERBALIFE BECAUSE HERBALIFE HAS GIVEN ME A CHANCE TO DREAM AGAIN.
Long story short, one of my tasks in order to succeed in this business is to hand out flyers every morning consistently for the next 6 months. These flyers are inviting prospects to join the business or to enquire ways to manage ones weight.
I must admit that there were times I had contemplated quitting, while distributing these flyers, due to the responses a stares I received from the public. Thoughts that there must be a better way of doing this did run through my mind. It is during moments like this that I reflected on all the successful people who made it and pursued their dreams especially when the chips were down. I remember them saying that challenges and overcoming them is the thin line that separates the successful from the not-successful. Then I remembered this story of Winston Churchill. I like to share it with you and hope it be an encouragement as it has been for me.


NEVER GIVE UP

Sir Winston Churchill took three years getting through eighth grade because he had trouble learning English. It seems ironic that years later Oxford University asked him to address its commencement exercises. He arrived with his usual props. A cigar, a cane and a top hat accompanied Churchill wherever he went. As Churchill approached the podium, the crowd rose in appreciative applause. With unmatched dignity, he settled the crowd and stood confident before his admirers. Removing the cigar and carefully placing the top hat on the podium, Churchill gazed at his waiting audience. Authority rang in Churchill's voice as he shouted, "Never give up!" Several seconds passed before he rose to his toes and repeated: "Never give up!" His words thundered in their ears. There was a deafening silence as Churchill reached for his hat and cigar, steadied himself with his cane and left the platform. His commencement address was finished.

Persistence and never-say-die attitude. A glaring quality of ALL successful people. I don't possess this fully.... yet, but getting there.

8 comments:

Shanghai Fish said...

Certainly simple words from one so great ! And quite simply put to the point !
Cheers and never give up Tony G!
pssst...is there any hope for growth in height, heh...heh Just joking lah !!
Cheers again bro !

tony -stand-up philosopher said...

My dear Mr SS,
I'll never give up..but growth in height, hmm. Yet I'll always remember the encouraging words of my friend Johnny when he told me...'Tony, if God deprived you of height, He will make it up in LENGHT!' Ha ha how's that for comfort..My friend la Johnny.

zorro said...

Go man go. It is not apptitude, but attitude that will get you to the altitude. Apologies to Johnny F F.

tony -stand-up philosopher said...

Hey Zorro is back. Hope everything's ok sir. Waiting for more insights.

Anonymous said...

Tony,
Passing out flyers certainly potentially more financially rewarding than passing the football, yes?
"Morais"

Anonymous said...

I do not wish to throw a spanner, but do check out this site.

http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/Herbalife/herbalife00.html

tony -stand-up philosopher said...

Dear Ben,
Thanks for pointing this out. I think you're about the 200th person to tell me about this. Those stories may be true or it may not. All I know is Herbalife has changed my life and my family's life and the lives of millions around the world both health and wealth wise. Herbalife has been around for 27 years, listed on the New York Stock Exchange, did USD3 billion sales worldwide and RM200M sales in Malaysia in 2006. If a company with all that kind of publicity you pointed out from that website can still gunner that kind of sales and results and helping change peoples lives, than this is the Company for me and my kids. The problem with us is we always look for the negative side of things and than use that as an excuse for us not to progress in life. Start looking for the positive and you will attract positive things toward you. You know something, Herbalife and Mark Hughes has taught me to always be positive in every circumstance aND SITUATION. Everywhere I look, there is so much negativity.
So thanks, but no thanks. A lot of people can say anything about Herbalife. There can be websites to tarnish the image of Herbalife. But one thing it cannot do That is to say Herbalife did not cahnge my life, my family's life, 50 million satisified customers lives and many more who will come into contact with Herbalife. This is Herbalife. The life changing experience.
So if you are keen to know about Herbalife, the positive side 'cos the bad side of it you already know where to find, lock on to my website www.routetofortune.com and www.herbalife.com and the various countries, 64 in all, that Herbalife is operating under the approval of those 64 countries' Health Ministries. Who knows this may change your life too, unless you're afraid to make that change.

Regards

Independent Herbalife Distributor

Anonymous said...

Hey I'd love to thank you for such a great quality forum!
Was thinking this would be a nice way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Laurence Todd
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/st-patricks-day-party-supplies.html]st patricks day Party Supplies[/url].